Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Technology in the classroom. Strengths vs. weaknesses...

Hello,

My name is Tamar Karakozova. I am an ESL instructor at the University of Mississippi. I am working on my Master's thesis, which is on the topic: "Integrating technology in the classroom. Teaching reading and writing ."
I don't have a great teaching experience. I have been teaching for only four years now. Coming from the country of former Soviet Union, I wanted to learn as much as possible, that is why I have been observing and teaching classes at all age and grade levels from the time I arrived to the United States, in August, 2006.
I was very confused by the different teaching strategies here, could not find solutions to some problems I had when I had to deal with a class of young ESL learners. Summarizing my experience, I came to the conclusion that my work in the United States has always been challenging.
I teach ESL Lab. I am planning to graduate in December, 2007, and go back home, to Republic of Georgia. However, I am very confused by the fact, that I won't be able to use technology that much back home, and what am I going to do, when I will find myself in one of our schools, which does not have an internet connection, even if there are some computers around.
I have decided to ask for some suggestions on how to use technology in the classroom with limited opportunities.
Technology is a strength in a modern world, can we do without it? I guess, we could, but then, how about all my work here? My thesis?

Thank you very much for your comments.

Sincerely,

Tamar Karakozova

1 comment:

dvmunca said...

Welcome to Blogger, Tamara! i hope that you are enjoying your last semester at Ole Miss and that yu will take a lot of new teaching strategies with you when you go back home to Georgia! I would also like to watch you defend yout thesis paper - I am sure you will use a lot of cognitive tools there:) Good luck with your thesis!