Wednesday, October 17, 2007

PBL (Project-Based Learning)

PBL is very common term in methodology. Every teacher nowadays should work on the curriculum, having PBL in it. The iEARN (International Education and Resource Network) gives the following definition to PBL:



In Project Based Learning, students are involved in individual and collaborative work to explore real-world problems and create presentations to share what they have learned. Students participate in projects and practice an interdisciplinary array of skills from math, language arts, fine arts, geography, science, and technology. As compared to learning from textbooks, this approach has many benefits for students, including:

• Deeper knowledge of subject matter;
• Increased self-direction and motivation;
• Improved research and problem-solving skills.

I agree with all the parts of the definition, as I use Project-Based Learning in my classroom. However, I don't think you, as a teacher, can do it on a regular basis. I mean, you can't just make your students work on the projects all the time. How many projects does an experienced teacher do with the students during the semester?
If you, as a teacher, make students work on the projects that are similar, do they still have the same level of motivation?

I was always wondering, if I were a student, would I be able to keep my motivation from one project to another...

1 comment:

dvmunca said...

I completely agree with the idea that even though PBI looks like a great idea, it is rather hard to implement it on a regular basis:) It is very time consuming and requires teachhers to work a lot while planning and implementing it. Tamara, what are the iEARN projects you have chosen to implement in your classroom this year?